I am doing mathematics at Łódź University in Poland for the summer. While I am here I will write a little on this site, but it exists primarily for me to share pictures.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The weather seems to like it when we stay in Łódź

We have left the city 4 times: to Torun, Gdansk, Krakow and now Warsaw. Those four days have included three of the hottest from our entire trip. In Gdansk it was nice and cool because of the rainstorms. The weather in Łódź is almost always comfortable.

---


Last things first, I suppose. Tonight was sort of exciting as dinner went. The decision was made that there would be stir fry. However, there was no chicken at the grocery store. It seemed like sausage would not mix well with soy sauce, so I went for a veggie stir fry. However, they were also out of broccoli. In fact, they were out of quite a few things and what they had looked quite picked over.

I ended up grabbing some carrots (thank goodness), onions, peppers and beans. We went heavy garlic again because we still have lots. I used some more lemons because I like them, though it turns out they really need the broccoli to soak them up. And I threw in some honey at the end (why not?), though I did not use enough to be detectable.



I am determined to try honey again though, because it seems like honey and lemon just belong together. Lemon and black pepper also seem to belong together. Next time we will see if the relation is transitive.

---


The battery in my camera did not last the whole trip to Warsaw. Additionally, it was only a day trip. In an afternoon we just did not do that much.



First, we arrived. Upon getting out of the train station, we saw the palace of arts and sciences. It is the tallest building in Poland, or so I am told. We saw an exhibit there about Einstein. We also got to enjoy the view, since the exhibit was on the 30th floor (pretty close to the top). We could see a long ways in every direction, though there really wasn't much to see.





This is probably because there isn't much left of Old Warsaw. We made a stop at the history museum. The old things were really interesting. The newer history is very depressing. Long story short, 85% of Warsaw was destroyed during World War 2.

We stopped at a big old church. It was very nice. At this point my camera was dying so the pictures are pretty limited.

This other church looked scenic. We did not go inside. We passed it while trying to find the Marie Curie Museum which, as far as we could tell, does not exist.




There was a mall, which we stopped inside of briefly. Thomas and Philip wanted some coffee so they stopped at a place called Wayne's Coffee. All of the barristas were female, so we assumed none of them were Wayne. I was pretty impressed by the roof of the mall. It's sort of like a Bucky Ball!

We went to the Warsaw University Library. It's huge. In front of it are giant plaques full of knowledge. There were some with music and language. This one has a bell curve, pi, some molecules and Maxwell's Equations. Awesome. The roof of the library holds a botanical garden.




Hooray!



Something not quite right happened with the lighting here. You can't really read the plaques. Trust me though: knowledge.



Big building. Garden on top. Cranes? Reminds me of the new science center!



That's all for now. I have a meeting with Professor Hejduk in the morning.

No comments: