I am doing mathematics at Łódź University in Poland for the summer. While I am here I will write a little on this site, but it exists primarily for me to share pictures.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Wine Wednesday.

Yes I know it's Thursday now. I went dancing right after dinner last night.

Dear Mom,

Bragging time! One of the instructors at my salsa dancing class this afternoon did not believe that I speak no Polish. The movements tend to be explained (in Polish) then demonstrated once. However, as a result of having danced before, I am able to duplicate them reliably.

Tomorrow we will not be going to Zakopane as we had planned. This is for several reasons. Most importantly, we have not heard back from the hostel we wanted to stay at (with the alternative, according to the online reviewers, having mob connections). Also, we are eating lunch with Professor Hejduk tomorrow. Considering that Zakopane is an hour past Krakow, which itself is a 7 hour train ride, we would not be able to get there before 7am preceding a day of hiking. Sadly it's looking like we may miss the place that is supposed to be most scenic in all of Poland.

---


Yesterday was Wine Wednesday. However, I was not feeling particularly creative. This meal probably looks familiar.



The only change was that I used more than the usual amount of black pepper. However, purely by luck, that ended up going very well with the wine. (I'm uploading pictures on Blogger now. My St Olaf webspace is just about full. I'm a little obsessive-compulsive about consistency, though, so I may go through the old posts and do the same thing and clear out my space.)



Our choice of wine was pretty arbitrary. We have wanted to try a Bulgarian wine (since that is supposed to be a main place to get it from other than Hungary). We did not know how to tell if a wine is Bulgarian from the label (in fact, to be honest, I'm not even sure if we would need to look for Roman or Cyrillic alphabet). The wines are all behind the counter so we more or less pointed at one that looked acceptable. Isabelle ended up being Hungarian. It really lit up the black pepper.

After dinner I went to the Dublin Pub, which has salsa nights every Wednesday. Weird, right? That's not even the worst of it. They are located on the second floor of a supermarket. The night started off with everyone being corralled onto the dance floor and taught a short disco dancing sequence. From there we had some heavily beated salsa music. One half of the dance floor looked like a (crowded) salsa event. The other half was packed with people who just came to club.

The floor was very small. It was not ideal for dancing. There were people there from Project Salsa, so we will see if I make it back. So far Mojito has been the best place to dance by far (other than the classes themselves at PS). I guess Mojito, the bar across the hall from Project Salsa, has only been open for a few weeks. They are fairly connected so I see a lot of people I know there.

My classes end on Monday at PS. There is a class meant to be a continuation which will inhabit the same slots of the week. The same people will take this class. I have not yet looked into whether I can sign up for just half; I will be gone before it ends.

No comments: