I am doing mathematics at Łódź University in Poland for the summer. While I am here I will write a little on this site, but it exists primarily for me to share pictures.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

I can slice a tomato with a fork.

It didn't turn out pretty, but the sandwich needed a tomato and our knives are gone.

Dear Katie,

Right now I am sitting in the room with Philip enjoying a room-temperature slice of pineapple-banana-cinnamon pizza. I just returned from Project Salsa, where I had my last class tonight. This morning Thomas and Nathan checked out and got on a train for Budapest. Last night we returned our borrowed dishes and silverware to Kasia, and as a result ate out instead of having Wine Wednesday. Yesterday morning we had our last meeting with Professor Wilczynski. He gave us some final feedback on our papers. We will work on them with Professor Humke when we return, though we will continue to be in contact with Professor Wilczynski.

Yesterday I also got a haircut in anticipation for the heat that is much more present in Minnesota than it is here.

This morning I packed almost everything up. I have enough clothing to keep me decent for the next several days before we leave, and my laptop is not stashed... but that's about it. I feel like I am about done here. It's exciting because I am ready to go. Our projects are as done as they will become in Poland and I miss a lot of things about home. Most importantly, various people and a strong presence of English literacy.

But I am also a little sad to go. I don't think leaving the math department will be that big of a deal, but I am sad to leave Project Salsa. For the last month I have done something like ten hours a week of salsa dancing. I went out dancing most evenings, as a result of the other guys' hesitance to leave the dorm. I have as a result spent a lot of time befriending the salsa dancing community here, particularly Ania and Gosia, my instructors. I may see people tomorrow night if Mojito has a salsa party, but typically Saturdays are the nights for that. And on Saturday night I will be in Warsaw, sleeping in a hotel in preparation for flying out Sunday morning.

Sunday night (to the extent that the term applies on the day I will gain 7 hours), however, I will hopefully land in time to see Joey's circus show. Shortly afterward I will be back on the cell phone grid for the first time since early June. And in the days and weeks following that I will be excited to see everyone, including you, again. As you have pointed out to me, this has been the longest time we have gone without seeing each other since we met.

No comments: