I am doing mathematics at Łódź University in Poland for the summer. While I am here I will write a little on this site, but it exists primarily for me to share pictures.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Lunchtime!

Dear Dad,

I'm sure you are wondering, with posts only about dinner, what I eat for lunch here.



Of course that doesn't all go on one roll (I use at least two), but that's all that would fit on the plate.

---


On Friday Professor Wilczynski took us on an excursion. We went to Łowicz and saw a museum. Then we stopped at a very old building. I'm not sure what to call it... it's not a castle but the word mansion does not do it justice. It is very well preserved and has itself been turned into a museum. We had been planning on going to see the Chopin museum at his birthplace but were prevented from doing so by several factors. The traffic to get there was insurmountable, and we found that they have concerts only on Sundays.

At the first museum, photos were not allowed. They would not have been so interesting anyway, I think; pictures of old stuff are just not as exciting as seeing the old stuff in person. Most impressively, I think, was the weapon room. They had swords about as tall as I am, as well as a cabinet of very old guns (which were so large and decorated I would be surprised if anyone could carry them).

I did take some pictures at the second destination.



The structure from the front. It was so surrounded by trees that it proved impossible to see the whole building from any angle.



Tons and tons of old furniture.



There were several rooms with just one color. This olive green one was less impressive than the red room, which was quite overwhelming.



The main (maybe) staircase had walls covered in these pretty blue on white tiles. Each tile is unique.



In the back yard there were some gardens. They served as a buffer, I guess, between the house and the park that filled the rest of the grounds.



Oh, and did I mention that this place has some canals? You could make some excellent solitons in them.

No comments: